The summer transfer window is now open in Europe, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling around. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Vlahovic in Spurs’ sights if Kane leaves
Bayern have made the England captain their priority signing this transfer window and continue to push for the 29-year-old despite already seeing two offers turned down, including the latest €94 million offer.
Even though Spurs don’t see their talisman’s departure as a certainty, they are still looking for possible replacements and Vlahovic is first choice. The North London club have a positive relationship with Juventus after signing Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur, while Vlahovic could be allowed to leave for a €70m fee.
Spurs have held a long-term interest in the Serbia international and tried to sign him when he was playing for Fiorentina. But Paris Saint-Germain have also monitored the striker’s situation for several months.
The report says that Kane and Vlahovic could be the two moves that begin “a real game of musical chairs” when it comes to strikers this transfer window, involving the likes of Benfica‘s Goncalo Ramos, Napoli‘s Victor Osimhen, Eintracht Frankfurt‘s Randal Kolo Muani, Chelsea‘s Romelu Lukaku and Atletico Madrid‘s Joao Felix.
15.42 BST: Sporting CP have completed the €24m signing of Coventry City forward Viktor Gyokeres.
Gyokeres, 25, scored 22 goals last season — 21 in the Championship — and bagged 12 assists. The Sweden international was linked with a move to Newcastle as Coventry made their way to the playoff final but opted to move to Portugal.
15.02 BST: Cristiano Ronaldo‘s Saudi Arabian club, Al Nassr, are banned from registering new players until they settle a debt with Leicester City, FIFA said on Thursday.
Al Nassr were ordered to pay Leicester €460,000 ($513,000) plus annual interest of 5% in an October 2021 ruling by a FIFA-appointed judge at its players’ status committee.
Leicester filed the complaint in April 2021 because of unpaid additional clauses due from the €18m sale of Nigeria forward Ahmed Musa in 2018.
Al Nassr — which was taken under majority ownership last month by the $700 billion sovereign wealth Public Investment Fund — can still sign new players though not register them to play.
14.33 BST: Girona are hoping Barcelona will halt their pursuit of Oriol Romeu.
A youth product of Barca, Romeu is considered the ideal replacement for long-serving midfielder Sergio Busquets, who left Camp Nou to join Inter Miami last month.
Romeu, who joined Girona last summer, is under contract until June 2027. But Barca are considering signing the former Southampton player to strengthen their midfield and reports claim that Barca coach Xavi has contacted the 31-year-old to convince the player to return.
“If Barca want to do us a favour, don’t sign Oriol,” Pere Guardiola, chairman of Girona’s board of directors, told reporters. “Our position is clear. We are planning the season with Oriol because he is a very important player for us.”
14.00 BST: How did Real Madrid sign Arda Guler?
How Real Madrid beat Barcelona to sign the ‘Turkish Messi’ Arda Guler
Watch Real Madrid’s freshest signing in action, as the 18-year-old attacking midfielder Arda Guler arrives in the Spanish capital from Fenerbahce.
13.34 BST: Liverpool midfielders Jordan Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho are attracting interest from Saudi Pro League clubs this summer, sources have told ESPN.
Clubs in Saudi Arabia have pursued an aggressive recruitment strategy in recent months and have set their sights on Liverpool’s midfield trio.
Sources have told ESPN that former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, who was recently appointed manager of Al Ettifaq, is keen to bring Henderson to the club.
Al Ittihad are keen to sign Brazil international Fabinho but sources have told ESPN that Liverpool have not received any formal offers for their players.
The trio could join former club teammate Roberto Firmino in Saudi Arabia after he signed a three-deal with Al Ahli after his departure from Liverpool.
13.16 BST: Atletico Madrid executives held a “transfer summit” on Tuesday, Marca reports, in which they focused on securing a midfield target, with the names of Marco Verratti, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Sofyan Amrabat and Martin Zubimendi all discussed.
According to the newspaper, coach Diego Simeone, sporting director Andrea Berta and chief executive Miguel Angel Gil held talks on Tuesday night after the club’s traditional preseason dinner of suckling pig in the city of Segovia, north of Madrid.
Paris Saint-Germain’s Verratti, 30, would be their first choice, Marca says, although there’s an acceptance a deal might be difficult to secure, with Tottenham’s Hojbjerg, Fiorentina’s Amrabat and Real Sociedad’s Zubimendi as alternatives.
12.44 BST: Inigo Martinez was unveiled as a Barcelona player on Thursday.
Martinez, 32, joined Barca as a free agent after his contract with Athletic Club expired last month. The Spain international has signed a two-year deal with Barca.
“It is a source of pride and a pleasure to come to this great family, to the best team in the world,” the defender said. “When Barca calls you, the rest of the interested clubs are secondary. I come with enthusiasm and desire. I’m eager to start. It is a beautiful experience, demanding at the same time. I am competitive and I think that will help the team I want to win as many titles as possible in this club. It is going to be a great year.”
Martinez will provide competition at centre-back for Ronald Araujo, Andreas Christensen, Jules Kounde and Eric García.
“Xavi wanted me here from the word go and as a player I’m grateful for that,” he said. “I know the club I’ve signed for. I know what I can give. I’ve come to learn and to offer my experience. I want to play.”
12.30 BST: Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva remains Barcelona’s No. 1 choice to strengthen their midfield, Mundo Deportivo reports.
Silva, 28, is under contract until June 2025 and is a key player in Pep Guardiola’s side, but Barca have not given up hope of signing the Portugal international this summer.
Barca coach Xavi has tried in past transfer windows to lure the former Monaco star to Camp Nou and while Silva would welcome a move to Barcelona, a deal between the clubs will prove challenging.
Barca can’t afford to meet City’s asking price of €70m for Silva but are considering offering to take the player on loan this coming season and include an option to sign permanently in the deal.
11.55 BST: The Kylian Mbappe saga is unlikely to be resolved until August, Marca reports, with the newspaper claiming that “nothing points to a solution [being found] in the next few days.”
Paris Saint-Germain may be keen to convince their star forward to renew his contract — due to expire next summer — as soon as possible, Marca says, but Mbappe is “in no hurry” and his focus is on ensuring that any transfer doesn’t see him lose out financially.
The newspaper reports that Real Madrid have already planned for this coming season without the France international, and that the first step in any deal would be PSG and Mbappe reaching an agreement on the terms of his departure. PSG want at least €150m in transfer fee if he goes.
11.34 BST: Real Madrid have received multiple enquiries from Premier League clubs about Aurelien Tchouameni this summer, Relevo reports, but their response has been to insist that the midfielder is not available.
Tchouameni, 23, had a somewhat disappointing first season at the Santiago Bernabeu last campaign after signing for €80m from Monaco, starting strongly before fading after the Word Cup.
According to Relevo, Madrid believe that inconsistent form is normal for the player at this stage of his development, and say that the France international is not on the market.
11.00 BST: Inter Milan have raised their offer to sign Belgium forward Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea, Sky Italia reports.
The Nerazzurri are hoping that their new proposal, €30m plus add-ons, will convince Chelsea to let Lukaku leave this summer on a permanent transfer. The Blues already turned down Inter’s initial offer of €25m.
Inter coach Simone Inzaghi is hopeful that Lukaku will return after the striker spent last season on loan at Inter. “
Lukaku is a player that belongs to another team but we know what he represents,” Inzaghi said on Wednesday. “I fought so hard to bring him back here and we’d like to do it again this year”.
09.52 BST: Rasmus Kristensen will join Roma on a season-long loan from Leeds United, according to Sky Italia. No option to sign permanently will be included in the deal.
Kristensen, 26, will undergo a medical in Rome this weekend before joining the team in preseason training on Monday.
The Denmark right-back joined Leeds last summer from FC Salzburg and made 26 league appearances for the Elland Road club. His contract with Leeds runs until June 2027.
09.17 BST: An offer from Saudi Arabia is “beginning to seduce” Alvaro Morata, Diario AS reports, after the Atletico Madrid forward had been reluctant to consider a move.
Morata, 30, said no to an initial approach, according to AS, citing family reasons.
However contact continues via intermediaries, and the Saudis have now upped the financial terms of the offer in attempt to convince the Spain international that it would be the right move at this stage of his career.
08.56 BST: Vitor Roque turned down higher offers from Premier League sides and Paris Saint-Germain to sign for Barcelona, according to one of his agents Andre Cury.
Barca confirmed on Wednesday that the Brazilian forward will join the club on a permanent transfer for an initial €30m from Athletico PR in the 2024-25 season.
“There were higher offers that the club received but Barca always came first,” Cury said. “His desire was to come to Barca. We are very enthusiastic. He came to Barcelona ready to earn less at this time in order to succeed. He will arrive in less favourable conditions financially but with a lot of enthusiasm, ready to have a big project with Barca.”
Asked if those offers were from Premier League clubs and from PSG, he said: “Yes.”
Barca will reportedly pay €30m plus €31m in add-ons, a deal that Cury said “is good for Barca in every sense.” He added of the add-ons: “He will have to play games, win titles, be in top three of FIFA [Ballon d’Or voting]. The club will pay it happily if all those are reached.”
Roque, 18, would have liked to have arrived this summer but Barca’s finances prevent him from signing up immediately.
“The way to make it happen was this way,” Cury said. “He’s had to adapt. He has a strong mentality, very humble, hard worker and is eager to succeed. If he arrives on a Friday [to Barca], he will play on Sunday.”
08.24 BST: Chelsea are preparing to make an opening offer for Lyon wonderkid Rayan Cherki as they seek a replacement for Christian Pulisic, sources have told ESPN.
Pulisic is closing in on a move to AC Milan, with the United States midfielder due to undergo a medical with the Serie A giants in the next 24 hours, ESPN reported on Tuesday. And Chelsea are already moving to replace Pulisic, with Cherki one of the targets.
Elye Wahi, the talented Montpellier centre-forward, is also on the London club’s shortlist.
Cherki is keen to join Chelsea, sources have told ESPN. Born in Lyon and a product of the club’s youth system, he is valued at around €40m and is under contract until June 2025 after an automatic one year extension was triggered in April when he reached 15 Ligue 1 starts.
08.00 BST: Serbia midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has joined Al-Hilal from Serie A side Lazio, the Saudi Arabian club announced on Wednesday.
“Coming from Italy’s eagles. Savic represents Asia’s Leader,” Al-Hilal said on their Twitter account. Italian media reported that Al-Hilal would pay around €40m for the 28-year-old.
Milinkovic-Savic has signed a three-year contract with an option for a fourth and will be teammates with Senegal defender Kalidou Koulibaly and Portugal midfielder Ruben Neves, both of whom joined the club in June.
Lionel Messi lands in Florida ahead of Inter Miami unveiling
Lionel Messi arrives in Fort Lauderdale in preparation for his Inter Miami unveiling ceremony.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– Atalanta‘s Rasmus Hojlund remains Manchester United‘s first option to sign a striker, according to Fabrizio Romano, although he adds that no official offer has been made yet as the Red Devils’ priority is to bring in a new goalkeeper. Personal terms are not expected to be an issue as Hojlund is very keen on moving to Old Trafford, while PSG have also enquired about the 20-year-old.
– RB Leipzig have reached an agreement with Lens to sign striker Lois Openda for a club record €40m plus add-ons, as reported by Sky Sports Deutschland. The deal had threatened to fall through when the Ligue 1 club demanded €50m, but it has now been completed and Openda will become Leipzig’s sixth signing of the summer.
– Aston Villa want to sign Juventus winger Federico Chiesa and are not put off by his transfer valuation of €60m, according to Calciomercato. However, the 25-year-old is not interested in joining the Premier League side as he wants to be part of a bigger team.
– AS Monaco have been looking to replace goalkeeper Alexander Nubel after his loan from Bayern Munich ended and are close to signing FC Salzburg‘s Philipp Kohn, reports L’Equipe. Negotiations between the two clubs are close to reaching a positive conclusion and the 25-year-old would be keen to join the Ligue 1 club.
– Lazio have made Metz an offer to sign striker Georges Mikautadze as they aim to strengthen Maurizio Sarri’s attack, reports Sky Sports Italia. The 22-year-old Georgia international caught the eye by scoring 23 goals and adding a further eight assists in Ligue 2 last season.