The summer transfer window is closed for the top leagues in Europe! After a summer full of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to pull off their transfers. See all the major deals here and check out how we graded the biggest signings. But just because the window is shut until January, that doesn’t mean the rumours won’t keep coming.
TOP STORY: Madrid eye Lewandowski if no Haaland
The Poland international star is the latest player to be added to the shortlist at the Santiago Bernabeu as the club continues to plot an injection of investment to improve the squad’s starting XI.
It has been reported that the club will prioritise moves for Paris Saint-Germain‘s Kylian Mbappe and Haaland, but with the Borussia Dortmund frontman set to be at the centre of a transfer tug-of-war, Los Blancos see the Bayern sharpshooter Lewandowski as an ideal alternative.
The 33-year-old Ballon d’Or contender is still firing on all cylinders for the German club, breaking Gerd Muller’s 49-year record by scoring 41 goals in the Bundesliga last season.
08.52 BST: Real Madrid are one of a number of clubs keeping tabs on Fulham youngster Fabio Carvalho, the Daily Mail reports.
Carvalho, 19, is enjoying a fine start to the season in the Championship, scoring three goals in five matches so far this term.
The Mail reports that the England youth international is on the radar of several top Premier League clubs as well as Spanish giants Madrid.
Carvalho’s contract expires at the end of the season, and Fulham are keen to give him a new long-term deal.
08.00 BST: Paris Saint-Germain have hit back strongly at LaLiga chief Javier Tebas after he mocked the age of their players and the spending of the French club, saying he should deal with the debt and “mismanagement” in LaLiga.
Tebas, a long-standing critic of Qatar-backed PSG’s spending, told a news conference that the French club’s spending was dangerous for football after they signed 35-year-old Sergio Ramos from Real Madrid and 34-year-old Lionel Messi from Barcelona during the recent transfer window.
“PSG looks like the league of legends given the age of some players. LaLiga has young players like Vinicius Junior. The problem of PSG, we will solve it. What PSG are doing is as dangerous as the Super League,” Tebas said. “We will continue to grow despite the departure of Messi. We will work against the club states. These clubs are as much enemies as the Super League.”
A letter from PSG general secretary Victoriano Melero, seen by Reuters, said Tebas was engaged in “diversion” from Spanish football’s own problems and that he should also deal with rebel clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona who remain committed to a breakaway European Super League project. Tebas, who also taken aim at Abu Dhabi-backed Premier League club Manchester City’s spending, has frequently questioned how PSG, who are owned by Qatari Sports Investments, are able to comply with UEFA’s Financial Fair Play regulations.
“Time after time, you allow yourself to publicly attack the French League, our club, our players — together with players of other clubs — and the fans of French football; while constantly posting insulting and defamatory statements insinuating that we do not conform to the football financial regulations, amongst other unsubstantiated statements,” Melero wrote in a letter on Wednesday.
– PSG’s business isn’t over yet with Nuno Mendes reportedly on the way to the Parc des Princes to complete a loan deal. Fabrizio Romano says that the club have agreed a €7 million loan fee which includes a €40m buy option. The Portugal international was highly sought-after throughout the summer, with Manchester City one of the clubs who look to have missed out on the defender.
– Former Liverpool defender Steven Caulker is set to join Gaziantep from fellow Turkish club Fenerbahce, writes NTV Spor. The centre-back will join on a loan deal after failing to nail down a place in the first team since joining the Yellow Canaries from Alanyaspor. The 29-year-old enjoyed some of his career’s best form in the Turkish Super Lig last season, helping his side to a top-seven finish after spending some time at the top of the table.
– Manchester City are keen on AC Milan‘s Theo Hernandez, according to Manchester Evening News. Pep Guardiola currently has one first-team left-back at his disposal in Oleksandr Zinchenko, with Benjamin Mendy‘s legal proceedings still ongoing. The 23-year-old Hernandez enjoyed an impressive campaign last season, registering seven goals and five assists across 33 games in Serie A.
– Arsenal could look to recall Miguel Azeez from his loan move at Portsmouth to help with squad depth when the African Cup of Nations takes place, according to Football.London. The tournament is set to take place in January which will force a number of the stars from the Premier League away on international duty. It is reported that a clause was inserted into the deal to allow the highly-rated 18-year-old to return to the Emirates if required by Mikel Arteta.
– Ousmane Dembele is attracting interest from Juventus as the club continue to rebuild after Cristiano Ronaldo‘s move to Manchester United. Calciomercato writes that the Old Lady are keen to add a forward in January, and see the France international as a strong fit. Despite reports that the 24-year-old would sign a new deal with Barcelona, the Blaugrana are yet to finalise a deal that would see Dembele remain at Camp Nou beyond next summer.